The History of the Nautical Almanac & HM Nautical Almanac Office
The UKHO took over the responsibility for HMNAO from April 2006.
HMNAO was formerly part of the Royal Greenwich Observatory (based in Herstmonceux and then Cambridge) up until its closure in 1998, when responsibility transferred to the Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils (now Science and Technology Facility Council) Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire.
- The Nautical Almanac and its Superintendents
Work is in progress on our history covering the period 1675, when Charles II appointed Flamsteed ... our astronomical observer, forthwith to apply himself with the most exact care and diligence to the rectifying of the tables of the motions of the heavens, and the places of the fixed stars, so as to find out the so much desired longitude of places for the perfecting the art of navigation, to the post-WW2 era.
- The personal memoirs of Dr. D.H. Sadler, 1930-1972,
former Superintendent of HMNAO. HMNAO wishes to thank Dr. George Wilkins for making these memoirs available to us and editing the original manuscripts.
- A Personal History of The Royal Greenwich Observatory at Herstmonceux Castle, 1948-1990,
by Dr. G.A. Wilkins, former Superintendent of HMNAO from 1971 to 1989, is now available via a link to the RGO Archives Collection at the Manuscripts Department of Cambridge University Library.